Toutons are traditional Newfoundland comfort food which are usually loaded with either animal fats or oil. Our friend Marie Letemplier made these delicious plant-based toutons with zero fats.
- Take 2 cups of flour. Add the yeast, salt, date paste and mix all the ingredients.
- Keep kneading using remaining flour until bread consistency.
- Let it rise for approximately 1/2 hour
- Knead again and let it rise again.
- Form dough into balls and flatten into 3 inch rounds.
- Bring a pan to medium heat and fry them without using any oil or grease.
- When they are golden on one side flip them and fry for an equal amount of time on the opposite side or place them on a parchment lined baking sheet in a 250 degree F oven for another 10 minutes or so to ensure that they are cooked through.
- Serve them with homemade jam or drizzle some molasses on it.