Another favorite instant pot recipe! This recipe uses lentils and you can be versatile with your choice of lentils. Here we have used half red and half brown. But you can also try with green and yellow lentils, split peas or whole pigeon peas.
In Instant Pot:
- Combine all the ingredients in an instant pot. close the lid and set it under manual pressure for 10 minutes.
- If you’re using any other kind of whole lentils or whole pigeon peas (instead of brown lentils), you can set it up for 15 minutes.
- If you choose, you can also press the sauté button at the beginning and saute onions, carrots, and celery for 2 to 3 mins first. Add the spices and saute it for another min. Then add potatoes, lentils, water/broth and stir it to combine. Close the lid and set under high pressure manually for 10 mins.
- Once done, quick release the pressure, add spinach/Kale if using.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving. Enjoy!
On stove top:
- Saute onions, carrots, and celery for 2 to 3 mins first on a medium heat. Add the spices and saute it for another min.
- Then add potatoes, lentils, water/broth and stir it to combine.
- Bring to a simmer, cover partially, and let cook for 35-40 minutes (maybe longer, just keep an eye on it), stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Stir in the kale or spinach, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.