Millets are one of the whole grains which are highly resistant to harsh conditions, and less resource-intensive to grow. Hence it’s an environmentally friendly grain. Not only that it has high protein content, rich in fiber, has magnesium, Niacin (Vitamin B3), and is gluten-free.
It comes with so many protective health benefits. So, without further due let us see how we can make it delicious.
Millet Upma or porridge is a South Indian Breakfast dish that combines the goodness of veggies and grains. Traditionally this dish uses a lot of oil to saute the veggies but let us see how we can make a healthier version of it.
Millets cook faster when they are soaked for 4-6 hours. If you couldn’t soak them beforehand, you can immerse them in hot water until you are prepping your veggies and other ingredients.
1. For this dish, finely dice your vegetables into small pieces.
2.Heat the pan on medium heat. Add cumin, mustard seeds, and let it splutter
3. Add curry leaves, onions, ginger, green chillies, peppercorns and saute it for a min.
4. Add rest of the vegetables, salt, turmeric and saute it for few minutes.
5. Add 2 cups of boiling water
5. Drain the water out of soaked millets
6. Add millets to the pot and let it cook for 10 -15 minutes with lid covered.
5. Once done, turn off the stove and garnish it with cilantro and lemon juice
- Use the saute mode button.
- Add cumin, mustard seeds, and let it splutter.
- Add curry leaves, onions, ginger, green chillies, peppercorns, rest of the vegetables, salt, turmeric and saute it for few minutes.
- Add millets and pour 1 cup of water.
- Close the instant pot lid.
- Set it under high pressure for 10 mins
- Once done, vent it and open the lid. Garnish with Cilantro and lemon juice.