One of the common foods that everyone eats that is detrimental to our health is oils. Oils of all kinds have negative effects on our health and are heavily processed, with minimal to no nutritional benefits. Consuming oils is damaging to our blood vessels and is a leading cause of heart disease and other chronic illnesses that are completely preventable.
We’ve been led to believe that the way we cook with oil is not harmful, especially oils like olive oil and safflower oil, canola, coconut, avocado, flaxseed oil or hemp oil. What studies have shown is that all oils have negative effects on our health. They are heavily processed and have little, if any nutritional value. We also learned that cooking with oil was the only way to cook everything.
Understanding oils and the negative impact they have on our health is one of the best first steps on your whole food, plant-based diet and lifestyle journey. Weight loss, reversing diabetes, eliminating inflammation and cancers are direct effects.
In the video, you will find out more helpful information and we challenge you to take this challenge of cooking without oil for 1 week.
To assist you on your journey, here are some easy to follow steps to help you meet This Week’s Challenge:
A few tips to remember:
1. One of the most common foods that is detrimental to our health is oil.
2. All oils have a negative effect on our health, including:
….a. Olive oil
….b. Coconut oil
….c. Canola oil
….d. Sunflower oil
….e. Safflower oil
….f. Avocado oil
….g. Flaxseed oil
….h. Help oil
….i. Any oils
3. Oils are heavily processed and have minimal to no nutrient value.
4. To make 1 Tbs of olive oil, it takes 30-40 medium olives. While olives have nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin E, and minerals, like iron, copper and a little bit of protein, once processed into the oil, it has insignificant amounts of vitamins and becomes pure liquid fat.
5. Oils are calorie dense. Just 1 Tbs of oil oil has 120 calories, requiring a 1 mile run or a 1-1/2 kilometer run to burn off those calories. Consume more than 1 tablespoon and you can do the math.
6. Oil damages the inner lining of our blood vessels, the endothelium, which is the life jacket of the blood vessels. They secrete nitric oxide, an important substance that allows for smooth blood flow. When the endothelium is damaged, the blood vessels become sticky and leads to the formation of plaque, atherosclerosis. Over time, the rupture of plaque causes heart attacks.
7. Olive oil is NOT heart healthy as some would have you believe.
8. While the Mediterranean diet uses oil, is also has a rich variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, nuts, and seeds. It is a much more heart-healthy diet compared to the Standard American Diet (SAD) that most in the US and now world-wide are consuming.
9. Eliminating oils will eliminate inflammation of the joints leding to arthritis, and other chronic pains. When heating up oils, like meats (animal protein), the releasing of oxidative chemicals promotes inflammation, causes gene damage leading cancer, and promotes inflammation.
10. Because oils coat our taste buds, within a few weeks of eliminating oils, people begin to enjoy the food more because they taste the rich flavors, the herbs and spices they hadn’t before.
Remember, cooking with NO OIL is not only a new habit you can form on your journey to a whole food, plant-based diet and lifestyle, it will have a huge positive impact on your weight loss, lessening inflammation and reversing chronic disease.
You’ll feel lighter, have more energy and maybe even drop a few pounds and few pills!
Each of us has the power to lose weight, reverse diabetes and heart disease, and to live in abundant health. It’s up to us to give ourselves the gift of health.
Now, it’s time to turn the tables and learn to cook without oil for ourselves and our families.