1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Process all the ingredients in a food processor until blended (drain the excess liquid from tomatoes)
3. Form into patties, put on a baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes, then turn and bake for another 10 minutes.
4. You can also “fry” the burgers in a nonstick pan until both sides are browned – or grill on the barbecue.
5. Serve on whole-grain burger buns (the Ezekiel 4:9 brand is especially good) with lettuce, tomato, onion, mustard, ketchup or no-tahini hummus.
Hint: For variety, bake using a favorite barbecue sauce. Heat left-overs in a microwave and eat with a bun or bread, or plain with salsa.
Recipe Credit: Marie Letemplier
|1 15- ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed or 15 ounces of cooked black beans|
|1 14.5-ounce can tomatoes (drain the excess liquid)|
|1 garlic clove, minced, or 1 teaspoon garlic powder|
|1 teaspoon onion powder|
|1 small onion, chopped|
|1 cup chopped carrots|
|1/2 cup cilantro or parsley|
|1-2 green chilies (optional)|
|3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats|